Thursday, January 05, 2006

Confessions of a Monkie Junkie

I'm the worst kind of television fan which is no fan at all. I enjoy television but I don't sweat the clock on any certain night because "my show" is on and I get genuinely annoyed with people who cut short meetings, meals, and rehearsals because they have to rush home and watch Survivor or some other television show. My advertising background tells me that program obsession is a very good thing. But my geek-monitor tells me that these poor schmucks have no life. Besides, haven't they heard of TiVo? VCRs? Reruns?

I like television. Really, I do. But I don't give a program much thought once it's in my recent past.

There are a few exceptions, of course.

I do like American Idol. I can't help it. I'm a singer. It's a law, I think. But, life comes first so if I miss an episode, no big whoop.

I do like The Apprentice. I can't help it. Donald Trump wears mind-controlling ties. But, I miss plenty of episodes. Thursday is one of my only free nights and I don't want to spend every one of them in front of the television.

I love Monk. No explanation necessary. He's Monk.

When I learned that Lee Goldberg was writing mystery novels about Monk, I pre-ordered the first one from Barnes and Noble, but it wasn't in my mailbox on January 3rd as promised. I couldn't wait so I called every book store within driving distance until I found one with copies. Then, I took off work and instead of going to see my brother on his birthday, bought my book and promptly went home where I sat up the entire night reading it cover to cover.

But hey, I do NOT obsess over him. While I do, now and then, put into practice certain safety tips I learn from the program and am a little more particular about food preparation, anti-bacterial soap, and the alignment of picture frames, I am not obsessive.

I am merely a fan.
A fan who has twenty four brown suits.
But hey, doesn't everyone?

4 comments:

Konrad West said...

Ha, that's funny. I was completely obsessed with the first two seasons of Alias. Then with season 3 it got unmanageable, so I religiously avoided watching so I could see them all on DVD.

No TiVo in Australia, sadly. :(

MaryAn Batchellor said...

Konrad, darling, while I am not at all obsessive, I am entirely too compulsive to change my routine and NOT watch Monk...plus I had to reply to you because I couldn't stand an odd number of comments on my blog.

Tim said...

the only show I'm addicted to is ALIAS. Awesome. Never miss it. Have all for seasons on DVD & will get final season five whenever it comes out....

Alicia said...

I actually applied to be on the upcoming season of The Apprentice. Twice in one week (almost three times!). It is a pathetic tale that begins in Martha's Vineyard, completed with inflated overnight fees, technical snafoos, rainy casting calls and a race against the clock. And for what? Not even a "Thanks for your submission postcard." Hell - even the President sent me a "thanks but no thanks" card when I invited him to my wedding!

I guess what I'm saying is that I, too, have fallen prey to the world of "unscripted drama" (LOL). We all have to have our guilty pleasures, don't we?