Saturday, May 19, 2007

Messed Up Reality

Ever watched a film and bought the situational reality only to suddenly be jerked out into some other reality? Life can be like that.

Insane month. Prom. Graduation. Career decisions. Relatives. House to clean. A crisis or two at work and then the unspeakable. Near disaster for my family and horror for somebody else's.

No details. We move on.

Or, try.

But even when the bad guy loses, the fear lingers. Reality doesn't exist anymore. There's only the nightmare. People are still mowing their lawns and buying cappuccino as if nothing happened. But that's not reality. The nightmare is reality. I'm still readying my house for guests and ordering food for graduation. It's not real. Only the nightmare is real.

Weird. In time, it will be the other way around.

But let's use this.

When I get back to it, I'll study situational reality in film that doesn't work. I'm taking movie suggestions where the reality is disjointed, contradicts itself, or is not credible. The first one that comes to mind is Failure to Launch where an "out of harmony with nature" theme causes animals to bite. What have you got?

I think the study will be useful because while I was copycatting Unknown Screenwriter to find the most popular ways readers arrive here, I found that serious screenwriters often drop by. Most use bookmarks or links, arrive looking for information on battle speeches and protagonist deaths, or are researching character development. That is uber-cool. U-B-E-R. People are getting something they can use (and probably plagiarize on their term papers) from this blog so I'm inspired to put the time and work into writing better articles.

Plus, I get to feel important, puff out my chest, and pretend I actually know something.

However --

Now and then, a search engine answers a question by picking one word or phrase from multiple posts and sends some poor schmuck to my door where I deliver squat. No oasis of knowledge here. Today's goose chase is courtesy of a Yahoo search for "Does anyone in Amarillo, Texas do penile implants?" - Yeah. Good luck with that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacob's Ladder. And probably any Philip-K. -Dick-based movie: Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly, etc.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Sounds like OLAF's been using Yahoo again.

Unk

Anonymous said...

penile implants?.... heck, send the info my way... not that, um, I personally need one, it's just that, um, a "friend" was inquiring and...