Friday, May 11, 2007

Withdrawals

This loss of purpose and vacancy we writers feel if we aren't a perpetual sally port of our otherwise stifled creativity is a twisted addiction to the written word.

Or, just plain insanity.

Scarcely three weeks have passed since I ended a six month marathon rewrite and while my personal and professional commitments demand that I breathe, regroup, think about some immediate career issues, and get through all the preparations and bombardment of superfluous chaos that accompany the middle son's high school graduation, I find myself sketching character notes in the middle of the night.

Idiot.

The clock says 4:00 a.m. It's flashing at me. Shut up, clock. I know I need to sleep. It's reminding me that tomorrow is a busy day. I have a couple of job related things to do, gotta go vote in the local elections, got a lawn to mow, housecleaning to do , miscellaneous repairs to make, birthday gifts to buy, and a list of stuff to make sure the boys get done. What's the use of having sons if you don't make them clean the shed and paint the front door?

Stupid clock.

Shut up, already.

It doesn't know there's no rehab for writers.

3 comments:

E.C. Henry said...

Your plight reminds me of the stuggles we see Peter Parker going through in the Spiderman franchise: he's stuggling to cope with his superpowers while living out the more mudane tasks of real life. Parker works at the Daily Bugle. Bachelor works in local govenment.

Hmm... Simularities...

But what does you're superhero outfit look like?

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

MaryAn Batchellor said...

Picture Clark Kent in a bra.

Anonymous said...

"Picture Clark Kent in a bra"

SWOON!

I'm just thankful I'm wearing my kryptonite undies