Monday, December 12, 2005

Writing Talent or Skill?

I can't count the number of arguments I've read on various boards about whether writing is something people have a gift or knack for versus a skill that can be taught and learned in the classroom. Most arguments end with some kind of combination of natural creativity and acquired skill. Hmm. No comment, but I do have one very interesting analogy that may or may not fit.

Several weeks ago, I was forced to choose between missing one son's district cross country meet or another son's flag football game. The solution came in the form of my youngest son's team-mate. "We'll take him home after the football game" offered the team-mate's mother, "and if you aren't home by 1:00 p.m., we'll just bring him along with us to the archery tournament."

Her son was competing. Mine had used a bow and arrow once at a rennaisance festival this past spring in one of those booths where you get a prize based on the targets and distances you hit. He was thrilled to see a tournament. Okie doke. Problem solved.

Well, both boys came home with medals around around their necks that afternoon. Yup. Even though my son didn't own a bow, had not practiced, trained or ever competed with a bow and arrow, he entered the tournament at the last minute on a lark. The other boy's mother signed him up and paid his fee on a gut feeling. What do you know? He won a bronze medal!

So I ask you. Skill or natural talent? Either way, I have a Genesis competition bow to purchase for Christmas.

No comments: