Monday, December 19, 2005

Stitching a Screenplay

Singer XL-1000
Sewing Machine- Makes all your Dreams come True…

Well, that's what the advertisement says anyway. And, if any one of you is in the mood to spend $2000 on me, this machine is what I want for Christmas.

But, will this sewing machine really make all my dreams come true? What if I didn't know how to sew? Would it still make all my dreams come true?

I've been sewing throw size blankets and quilts for the past few weeks for friends, neighbors and relatives for Christmas. It really doesn't save me any money, but it's more personal than buying a throw off the rack at a department store and I can use my friends' favorite colors, characters, or themes. Plus, sewing gives me time to think, reconcile defects in my screenplays and work out plot issues.

So, this is my take on screenwriting courses, books, software, websites, and conferences. It's kind of like sewing. Yes, another analogy! Just hang in there. This one will pay off.

Sewing isn't just knowing how to stitch anymore than screenwriting is just knowing how to clack on a keyboard. What if my seams are crooked? What if I use brown burlap on everything I create? What if I'm following outdated patterns or my sleeves are uneven or my hem is too short? There are those pesky bobbin jams and needles that need replacing and all those loose threads you gotta do something with. Maybe I'll take some shortcuts because I only want to spend twelve hours on a project, not the forty that it needs. What if my overall finished project just isn't very interesting, attractive, or useful?

Here's the point. I can buy the most expensive and elaborate sewing machine in the world and if I don't know how to use it, I'll read the manual or get somebody to teach me. But that doesn't mean what I create on the sewing machine will be anything somebody would want to buy. Neither will screenwriting courses, books, software, websites, and conferences mean a writer will create a screenplay somebody will want to buy.

There's just not a magic potion, silver bullet, shortcut, or wand that replaces experience, practice, natural creativity, and hard work.

Oh, and one more thing pointed out by a colleague (thank you, Lola!)... a few bad stiches doesn't necessarily detract from the beauty of the overall finished product. But, conversely, perfect stitching won't help a bit if it's a really ugly dress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your sewing analogy and thanks for stopping by my blog..I'll add you to my roll