Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Software Worth Every Penny

Never heard of this screenwriting software? Well, maybe I'm the only one on the face of the planet that uses it, but when I began this screenwriting adventure less than two years ago, the $29.99 was more attractive to me than the more advanced softwares that most writers use. I decided to buy the bargainware and upgrade later depending on whether or not my scripts were laughingly passed around water coolors like the latest William Hung CD or received with interest.

This past year, I've had some nibbles from a few good indy producers and a whole barrell of aspiring producers who have never actually completed a project but are looking for the script that will launch their career. Meanwhile, a few readers have said that my margins are wanky and skewing the number of my pages.

So, a few months ago, I decided it was time to upgrade my software and yikes! Final Draft is expensive. But I'm a serious writer, right? So, I started setting money aside in a jar over my refrigerator and prepared to buy Final Draft at the end of the month.

Then my computer crashed. So, I used my Final Draft money on a new computer and started saving again for the next month.

But when the next month came and I was all ready to buy my new software, my singing group was booked at an opry and we needed glitzy costumes. So, my Final Draft money bought a Dolly dress and I started saving again.

Then, the next month came along with hurricanes Katrina and Rita. How could I possibly buy Final Draft when there were people covered in mud and grime who needed clean undies?

The next month, I dinked in both the AFF and Nicholl fellowships. I didn't exactly expect to win either one but I thought I'd at least advance! So, I had a six week long pity party, kept giving my spare money to hurricane evacuees, and bought my son's class ring.

Six weeks later, I was through pouting and was ready to buy Final Draft. Then my laptop died. So, there went my software money again.

This past month, I tried one more time. I saved the money for Final Draft and then opened up a a six hundred dollar electric bill. No, this is not a joke. I don't know what it costs where you live but six hundred dollars for electricity in my house is insane!

Meanwhile, in all that time, my wanky little software program helped me finish a first draft of my latest project. So, I'm not saving for Final Draft anymore but I am still putting money in a jar over my refrigerator. What is it for? I have no idea but it won't be spent on Final Draft.

By the way, look closely at the bottom of that box in the pic. It says "Write polished professional scripts within minutes of opening the box!" I have yet to write a screenplay in minutes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hollywood was my first software too...I am on FD V6 now...grwat program