Friday, November 04, 2005

The Nicholl Farewellowship

Okay, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but finding out today that two guys who frequent Wordplay got Nicholl Fellowships felt like hugging a warm puppy. Up to that point, my day had been terrible. I mean, this was the kind of day that made me want to shave my head just so I could feel in control of something. Then I read about these two guys and I was suddenly proud for people I've never met.

Isn't that bizarre? Pride for something I had no part in accomplishing? Beats the heck out of me. I'm usually rather miserly with my applause and have a predisposition for eating sour grapes when it comes to these sorts of things but right now, I'd really like to give my best Hugh Beaumont imitation, brush my fist past their chins and say "atta boy, Beav!" to each of them.

As for me.. well, I may not have gotten a fellowship, but a great many nifty things rhyme with fellowship. Maybe I can make due with a few of them while I'm improving my craft. Let's see...pleasure trip, skinny dip, cruise ship, tortilla chip and guacamole dip all rhyme with fellowship. Sounds like a nice vacation in the Caribbean, doesn't it?

Or, how about pistol grip, leather whip, roach clip and guilt trip? I don't know what that sounds like but somebody's probably going to jail.

How about tie clip, ego trip, unzip and pink slip? Okay, moving on.

Maybe I should just write a better screenplay and one day see my own film clip. Sounds like a good plan. Well, right after I finish reading Funky Winkerbean.

No comments: