Monday, July 10, 2006

La Vida Pirate

Say what you want -- loved it, hated it, too many thrills -- but Dead Man's Chest is wielding a cutlass at box office records and making film history.

I'm reminded of that Entertainment Weekly list that set my teeth on edge by putting POTC2 seventh in the "most anticipated films of the summer" list.

No need for me to say I told you so to EW since the $55 million opening day record is pretty much evidence that POTC2 was THE most anticipated film of the summer and the $132 million opening weekend record makes it, in my mind, one of the most highly anticipated films of all time.

Bottom line. The wallet of the viewer is louder than the voice of the critic.

Well done, Ted and Terry. Truly incredible.

1 comment:

Jonathan Bloom said...

It truly is, and from the looks of it, it's going to break all sorts of international records as well. Every single premiere day show, from 11am to 11pm were sold out here in Helsinki. People have gone all sorts of nutty over the new adventures of Jack Sparrow.

and with good reason, the film was absolutely terrific. Good enough that I just wanted to give both Terry and Ted a very warm handshake.