Thursday, February 15, 2007

Someone Pull the Stinger Out

I really love reading Christopher Lockhart's blog, but today I read a little anecdote that mentions ambient noise at a particular function and how basically, after hearing the same thing from wannabes 24/7, he finds that we writers blend into a blob of "what can you do for me?" and "ain't I hot stuff?" background noises at such functions.

That stung me.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm allergic to bee stings? I've never understood, however, why they sting me when they don't even have to. I can be outside just working in my flowers and trying to become a better gardener when BAM! Razor blade and Benedryl time.

Thankfully, certain bees DIE after they sting me.

Serves them right.

Anyway, no wonder agents, producers and other writers avoid us like the plague. We ARE a plague - like a swarm of bees, descending on them wherever they go so they can't even have a quiet drink in a public place without having to swat at a few of us or without having to stand perfectly still in the desperate hope that we'll just fly away and not land anywhere nearby.

So if, like Christopher Lockhart, you happen to find yourself at one of those rare occasions for up-and-coming agents to get a look at the people behind those faceless query letters, don't waste your breath talking to anyone you actually recognize.

They can't hear you. You're a collective buzz.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes at these events, it does seem you can cut the despearation with a knife. BUT --

-- if you have good work, a quiet confidence in it and yourself is appropriate. It can and will speak for you.

chris

Anonymous said...

Buzz buzz buzz... STING!

Unk

MaryAn Batchellor said...

Unk-believable.

Vic Trundles said...

maryan ... puns? it is black day.