Sunday, April 25, 2010

Assumptions without Grounds

Got an email the other day from somebody who decided that since I have not been blogging, I must not be writing anymore. One variable to draw a conclusion? Not good in life, math, or even video games.

It's funny how people read a blog and think they know the author. I liken it to a person who reads a book or watches a film and decides the voice behind the pen or the camera is a soul mate. That's stalker mentality.

A blog may give clues to a person's insight but, if I am indeed a writer, I could be a 90 year old man in a nursing home or a 25 year old girl finishing college. On a blog, the choice is mine.

One way or another, this Mary Anita Batchellor character is my creation. Either figuratively or literally, I am responsible for who she is and what she becomes. While "Mary A Batchellor" may sound like no brainer relationship advice, it also happens to be my name and I am still responsible for what kind of character she is. And, except for a handful of people who read this blog, you don't know me. I am a writer so you know only what I want you to know.

All of this leads up to the question about writing. Of course, I'm writing. I'm still breathing, aren't I? Got my Nicholl application in but haven't had a lot of time to blog. I've been busy traveling in time and space as I alternate between my story worlds and my real one.

Ran across this today. Exhibit A. Thank you, Craig.

No comments: